Eligibility Further Defined
To be eligible for a grant from the MVTF a veteran or legal dependent must be a legal resident of the State of Michigan at the time of the application. The veteran must have been discharged under honorable conditions, with at least 180 days of active wartime service (90 days for WWI veteran), or have been separated as the result of a physical or mental disability incurred in the line of duty (or aggravated by active duty). Service during the following periods (or an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, plus 180 days of honorable active duty, for service between periods in places such as Grenada, Lebanon, Berlin, Persian Gulf, Mayaguez Operation, or Desert Storm) is required:
- WWI - April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (If service in Russia, then to April 1, 1920)
- WWII - December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
- Korea - June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955
- Vietnam - February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975
- Persian Gulf - August 2, 1990 to present
If a veteran has less than 180 days of active duty during these eras, duty in more than one period may be combined. Evidence of separation or discharge with less than 180 days of wartime service due to a physical or mental disability is required to determine eligibility.