Child Abuse and Neglect

Michigan’s Child Protection Law defines child abuse and neglect as harm or threatened harm to a child’s health or welfare by a parent, legal guardian or any other person responsible for the child’s health or welfare.

To report suspected abuse or neglect of a child or an adult, please call the Department of Health & Human Services Centralized Intake at 1-855-444-3911.

In Michigan, the Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) is responsible for investigating reports of suspected child abuse and neglect. It is required that DHHS evaluate the risk to the child and determine the potential for positive family change during the investigation. If DHHS believes the child is at risk of harm in the home, a formal complaint is prepared and a Preliminary Hearing scheduled in Juvenile Court. The Juvenile Court has the authority to remove children from their home and place them elsewhere or order a parent from the home to maintain the children’s safety while the case is proceeding.

When a neglect/abuse hearing is scheduled in Juvenile Court, a parent is entitled to a court-appointed attorney if the parent can demonstrate an inability to afford one. Requests for a court-appointed attorney should be made before the hearing to avoid delaying the hearing. The request must be made on an approved court form and specific financial information must accompany the request. 

Financial Forms

Make a Payment

Please refer to your billing statement for your account  number and balance due.  Once you have this, you may use GOVPAY.NET to pay your account online.  You will be mailed a receipt once the payment is posted to your account.  Please be aware there is a minimum fee of $1.50 for using this service, and a maximum of 3%.

Resources & Links

Midland County Probate & Juvenile Court
2016 Annual Report

State Court Administrative Office
Court Forms  

Probate Filing Fees

Petition for Appointment of Guardian, Individual with Alleged Developmental Disability (PC 658)

Report to Accompany Petition to Appoint, Modify or Discharge Guardian of Individual with Developmental Disability (PC 659)

Report of Guardian on Condition of Individual with Developmental Disability (PC 663)

Petition to Terminate/Modify Guardian for Developmentally Disabled Individual (PC 677)

Inventory (PC 577)

Account of Fiduciary, Short Form (PC 583)

Petition to Allow Account (PC 585a)


Michigan Offender Information Tracking System   Website

Michigan State Police Public Sex Offender Registry   Website