As of August 1, 2012, we will no longer accept private purchaser gun permits and RI-60 forms sent to us from gun dealers, sellers or businesses. It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser to properly register a gun within 10 days of purchase. Please go to http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zkxyi245mq0vtn2pptriuvue))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-422 and read section (5) for more details. If you have any questions, please call 989 839-4630.
As you are likely aware, effective January 7, 2009, HB 4490 & 4491 went into effect which eliminated the safety inspection requirement. Since there is not an actual inspection for safety of the pistol, the Safety Inspection Certificate requirement was viewed as a record keeping process only. As such, this record keeping function will still remain, as all pistols must still be "registered" with the Midland County Sheriff's Office and the State of Michigan. The entry of the pistol information will be taken from the License to Purchase and Pistol Sales Record forms now, instead of the Safety Inspection Certificate.
This law change caused a revision of the following forms:
RI-9 Dealer License to Purchase
RI-10 Individual License to Purchase
RI-60 Pistol Sales Record (CCW Holders Only) *Click link to left of page for fillable form.
MSP-200 Basic Pistol Safety Pamphlet
MSP-201 Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire
RI-12i Concealed Pistol License application instructions
It also eliminates the Safety Inspection Certificate.
If you live in Midland County and are interested in purchasing a firearm, please follow this process:
Obtain an Application And License To Purchase a Pistol at the Law Enforcement Center. (You will be charged a $10.00 notary fee and asked for your Driver's License) What used to be a 3-Part form is now a 4-Part form.
At the time of purchasing a pistol, complete all fields of the 4-Part Form.
The seller keeps the "Seller Copy"; you, the purchaser, will keep the "purchaser copy"; and mail the State Copy and Local Agency Copy to: Midland County Sheriff's Office, 2727 Rodd Street, Midland, MI 48640.
NOTE: be sure all information is filled out correctly and legibly on all parts of the form. Also be sure to include a phone number on the form. With elimination of the safety inspection, it is important that all information is legible so it is entered into the system correctly. If the information cannot be read, we will call for verification.
APPLICANT'S CCW CHECKLIST
- Complete application, including full legal name and phone number. DO NOT sign the application until you appear before the County Clerk's Office.
- Obtain a passport quality photo - DO NOT CUT THE PHOTO. You may obtain your photo at the County Clerk's Office for an additional fee of $10.00
- ALL applications - $105.00 fee payable to the Midland County Clerk.
- Produce a valid driver's license or Michigan I.D. Card.
- Supply the Clerk's Office with a Training Certificate that complies with the new Law (PA 372 of 1927, as amended). If you have completed a training course prior to November of 2000, you MUST take a refresher course that complies with the new Law. If you are submitting a renewal application (after July, 2001) you have to certify on the application that you have had at least three hours of review of the required training and have had at least one hour of firing range time in the last six months preceding the application. You will not be required to submit another training certificate.
- On the application the Applicant is requested to have 2 (two) references, preferably not a close relative. The references should be in the Midland area or the immediate vicinity.
- After the completed application is turned in to the Clerk's Office, you will have to have your fingerprints taken. Fingerprints are done on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the Law Enforcement Center, 2727 Rodd Street, (989) 839-4630. Applicants may sign in no earlier than 11:00 a.m. on fingerprint day. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR RECEIPT OF PAYMENT THAT YOU RECEIVED FROM THE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE. IF YOU HOLD A CURRENT CONCEALED WEAPONS LICENSE AFTER JULY 2001 AND ARE RENEWING, YOU MUST TAKE YOUR LICENSE WITH YOU WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR FINGERPRINTS TAKEN.
- After fingerprints are returned from the Michigan State Police, you will be notified if you have to appear before the Gun Board. The Midland County Concealed Weapons Licensing Board meets the 1st Wednesday of every month at 10:00 am in the Midland County Services Building - Board of Commissioners' Room, (unless otherwise noted).
- Also available for a $10.00 charge is a driver's license size Plastic Concealed Weapons License. Paper licenses may be laminated for a $2.00 charge. Choice and payment should be made at time of application.