Records is normally open Mon. through Fri. from 8:00am to 5:00pm. The main number for records is 989-839-4630.
The Records Division is responsible for the following areas: Routing phone calls; filing and retrieving completed incident / accident reports; handgun purchase permits and safety inspections; civil process; autopsy reports; CCW packets and other assigned duties.
Adults requesting a permit to purchase a firearm are required to have a photo I.D. with their current address, pass a criminal background check and take a basic firearm safety test. A pamphlet on Basic Pistol Safety is available upon request. Once requirements are met, a purchase permit, valid for 10 days, will be issued. If the permit is not used, it should be returned to the Midland County Sheriff's Office.
Incident / Crash Reports
Completed and Closed Crash reports and Incident reports may be obtained from the Records Division during normal working hours. The fee for crash reports is $10.00. It is best to check with the Records personnel on the availability of the report before coming in for a copy. Reports from investigations that are not complete and reviewed by the prosecutor may not be released. If the prosecutor issues a warrant on a police report/complaint the report may then be obtained from the prosecutors office. The telephone number for the Midland County Prosecutor's Office is 989-832-6722.
Personal Protection Orders
Personal Protection Orders (PP0's) are obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office. They are usually accompanied by a police report or written statement to the judge. PPO's are served by the Sheriff's Office for a fee plus mileage. If you have a question concerning a PPO you may call the Circuit Court Administrative office at 989-832-6735.
Requests for Police Assistance
- If you have an emergency call 911 to have the closest available unit sent.
- Calls for police assistance that are not considered an emergency should also go to 911. Central Dispatch will send the next available unit.
- If you have a question for a sheriff deputy or for records personnel call 989-839-4600. You may leave a message on the Shift Commander's phone. In that case, someone will respond to the message as soon as possible.
FEES FOR SERVICES PROVIDED
- Boating Safety Classes Per Participant - No Charge
- Vehicle Inspections for Citations (fix-it tickets) - $10.00
- Dealer Application for Firearms License (RI-9) - $10.00 (notary fee charge)
- Gun Permit - $10.00 (notary fee charge)
- Explosive Permit - $10.00
- Copies of Vehicle Crash Reports - $10.00
- Copies of Reports other than Crash Reports - $10.00
- Fingerprints Taken CARDS - $15.00
- Fingerprints Taken LIVESCAN - $64.25
- Preliminary Breath Test - $10.00
- Records Checks or File Checks - $10.00
- Notary Public Service - $10.00
- Salvage Inspections - $100.00
- Medical Examiner Lab Report - $50.00
- Autopsy Reports - $200.00
- Reserve Deputy Assistance - $19.00 per hour
- House Moving Details - Billed at Overtime Rate Plus Mileage
Special Case Files are billed at the hourly rate of a records staff person plus the copy fee and reproduction of any photographs that are a part of the file. Fees must be paid in advance.